What is a WV PBIS Tier 1 Model School? What is a Spotlight School?
A school that has participated in a PBIS Academy conducted by the WV PBIS State Leadership Team and has implemented Tier 1 with fidelity for at least one year can be considered for designation. A Model School will exemplify a high level of PBIS implementation with fidelity in a majority of features of the PBIS framework and show improved student outcomes due to PBIS. A Spotlight School will demonstrate excellence in particular features that can be highlighted and/or replicated as high-quality examples of implementation. Upon review of applications, the WV PBIS Leadership Team will determine if a school receives the designation of a Model School or a Spotlight School.
Who should apply?
Schools that have an 80% or better on their most current Tier 1 Tiered Fidelity Inventory (TFI), have improved student outcomes due to PBIS, and agree to the following are welcome to apply. Model & Spotlight Schools may be asked to:
- serve as a demonstration site that can be highlighted in videos or webinars,
- be open to visits from outside parties (i.e. state/county employees, school teams, WV PBIS staff, etc.),
- present at WV PBIS academies and/or conferences.
Why should your school apply?
PBIS Model and Spotlight Schools will serve as examples for other schools implementing or exploring PBIS. As a model or spotlight school, your example will help spread this effective and beneficial framework throughout the state. In addition, your school will receive local and statewide recognition.
What are your responsibilities?
- Your team will maintain requirements (listed above) as a PBIS Tier 1 Model or Spotlight School.
- Agree to a walkthrough of your school campus from the state PBIS Leadership team.
- Agree to annual evaluation on your status as a model school.
- Provide free site visits or consultations to other PBIS teams, State Stakeholders, Administrators, WV PBIS staff, etc.
- Agree to share artifacts as examples of best practice. These examples may be placed on our website, social media, in videos or webinars, or in our academies and conferences.
- Present at a session at the WV PBIS Conference and School-Wide Academy Follow-up.
- Invite WV PBIS staff to any PBIS activity that you think shows off your program or may be a beneficial learning opportunity.
How do I get started?
- Ensure you meet all prerequisite requirements by reviewing the Model & Spotlight School Prerequisites document
- 2023 Model Spotlight School Application
- 2023 Model School RENEWAL Application (to be used by previously designated model schools only)
- Email completed applications and required documents to Erin Day, Behavior Support Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org